Deaf Alumni Only
I received replies on refusing to vote on the chosen Mascot Designs via email and social media. The poll is created so I would like to have a number of votes to be submitted as the vote certification.
Please share with the Deaf alumni
Board of Visitors (BOV) will have a meeting on March 8, 2023 at 10:30am in the Chapel. Visitors are welcome at to attend and you probably need to check in with security for a visitors pass. NO TOURS will be happening after the meeting as students are still on campus. If you want a tour, you can go when there are no students on campus – usually weekends only.
Below is Pat Trice’s message (long version):
I know that many alumni will come to campus on March 8th for BOV meeting I think that many alumni will want to stay and visit and walk around campus but they can’t because students are on campus.
When students are on campus, no visitors are allowed at VSDB. Please let the alumni know that they are welcome to come to BOV meeting but they will not be allowed to visit or walk around campus before or after the meeting. When the meeting is finished, they will all need to leave campus. They can’t stay and visit or walk around.
It is VSDB policy that no visitors are on campus when students there. That is for all visitors, not just alumni. They can come back to visit on any weekend from Friday 12:30 (students leave a noon) through Sunday at 4:00pm (students arrive after that).
I hope they understand that it is VSDB job to keep students safe.
Thanks for letting them know.
Pat Trice, MA, RID TC/CT/CI
Virginia School for the Deaf and the Blind
As we move forward with the One School Plan, I want to provide you with a timeline of the process and the goals. Please see the attachment below.
Stakeholder meetings will be done by a company who have worked with VSDB previously in the development of the 5-year strategic plan. Stakeholders are the students, employees, and alumni of VSDB.
This process will take several months and will occur in phases:
- The first phase includes the stakeholder meetings that will focus on collecting ideas for a mascot and colors that will unite and represent VSDB as one school. Please see the attachment below. It will also include a voting process with all stakeholders that will determine the final decision for the mascot and colors.
- Stakeholder meetings will be in person. If people cannot attend the meetings, they can email their ideas to VSDB. There will be a special vsdb email address for sending ideas.
- After the mascot and colors are chosen, there will be meetings to discuss how to preserve the history, culture, and traditions of the Blind and the Deaf Department. It is very important that the history, culture, and traditions be honored and passed on to the students of VSDB.
- Student Stakeholder meetings will occur in mid-November.
- The employee and alumni meetings will be scheduled for some time in January.
I look forward to working as a team with everyone to establish a more inclusive educational setting that represents equal value and representation for all students. Please let me know if you have any questions. Your input is welcomed!
– Pat Trice, VSDB Superintendent