** You can click on some pictures for a bigger view/version. **
Please note that these pictures may be subject to copyright and below are for viewing purposes, not for sale.
|Shovel used at the groundbreaking ceremony on May 19, 2010 to symbolize the consolidation of the two VSDB schools (Hampton and Staunton) together.|
2011 rendering of proposed construction
|2013 final rendering|
2009 Aerial Pictures
2011 Aerial Pictures
2012-3 Aerial Pictures
|Old and new playground areas visible minus the old metal merry-go-round that was by Stuart Hall (later renamed to Blehm Hall) as the merry-go-rounds moved over closer to the blind dorm. Do note the old playground was torn down eventually as the blacktop areas got a nice new playground which is green in the 2013 pictures below.||Shows Watts Hall under construction (upper left corner).|
|Another view showing nearly finished. You can see the blacktop/playground area mess still. Source: BJU Architects|
2013 Aerial Pictures (Final!)
Faithlyn Robinson, 1988 created a nice Prezi slide showing the years each building was constructed at https://prezi.com/lk0fyguamgbi/vsdb-staunton-virginia.
VSDB Time Capsule
|Buried in front of the Main Hall in 1989 and removed in 2014.
The Staunton News Leader took pictures of the event, see https://www.newsleader.com/picture-gallery/news/local/2014/11/15/vsdb-unearths-time-capsule-after-25-years/19071727.
|Buried under the main entrance to Yates-Shinpaugh Education Building in 2012 and is to be dug up in 2037. (Currently unable to find any newspaper articles on this event as 2-3 reporters were present at the time.)|
A blast from the past….
- Richmond Times had an article on VSDB on March 17, 1912. See https://www.newspapers.com/image/?clipping_id=15699726&fcfToken=eyJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiIsInR5cCI6IkpXVCJ9.eyJmcmVlLXZpZXctaWQiOjE0NjY0NzA1NywiaWF0IjoxNjQ4OTI4NDM3LCJleHAiOjE2NDkwMTQ4Mzd9.1RYSTBrImdIqRe4JfPE38hTOFfJCK68fydJjPFcB-P0.
- Eagle Scouts (early scouting years), see https://historyofscoutingva.wordpress.com/2020/12/12/five-deaf-eagle-scouts-in-virginia.
- A number of items are listed in the APH musuem including VSDB-H, https://aphmuseum.org/the-collection/?fwp_search_collection=deaf%20school%20virginia.
- Gallaudet Archives has some VSDB-H pictures @1950-51 (oddly no pictures for Staunton campus) and one picture on Cobbs school – the archives also has other references of interest, https://gaislandora.wrlc.org/islandora/search/Virginia%20school?type=edismax&cp=gaislandora%3A80639.
- NTID/RIT Archives – did not find anything so if you do, let us know, https://www.rit.edu/archives/ritntid-deaf-studies-archive.
- International Archives list (feel free to find references and share with us), https://www.deafhistoryinternational.com/archives-collections.
- VSDB-S yearbooks (partial – 1969-1982, which apparently are referenced to the Staunton Library nearby), https://archive.org/search.php?query=creator%3A%22Virginia+School+for+the+Deaf+and+Blind%22.
- 1982 VSDB-H archive (not captioned), https://www.wavy.com/wavy-archives/wavy-archive-1982-hampton-virginia-school-for-the-deaf-and-blind.